Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wuthering Heights, Part 1

While it got off to a pretty slow and confusing start, Wuthering Heights is turning out to be a really interesting read.  The thing that I am finding most interesting is the complexity of all of the characters’ relationships with each other.  The story doesn’t really have very clear cut representations of good and evil, or right and wrong, as far as the characters go.  While some of certainly more cruel than others, it seems like even the characters who started out innocent are somewhat corrupted by the cruelty of life.

Of all of the relationships in the story, the one that seemed to be the deepest and most complex was the relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff.  There love is so powerful that it almost seems destructive.  It seemed as though the stronger there love was, the further they were driven apart, and the more pain it caused everyone involved.  Even when Catherine tries to approach her love for Heathcliff in what she thought to be a rational way, by marrying Edgar and using his fortune to help Heathcliff, she broke both of their hearts and, in some ways, caused the self-destruction of multiple people (including herself).

Heathcliff alone was a very interesting character, too.  The way he had spent his entire life being built up, only to be knocked down over and over again, has shaped him and hardened him into a man with no heart.  While he did feel deep love for Catherine, it seems that the only way he was able to channel it was through deep resentment and hatred that served only to damage their relationship in the end.

Heathcliff also interests me as a character because of how intimidating he is.  At some points in the story, he seems almost demonic.  His apparently above-average size, along with his often malicious motives, made him seem like a man with a beast lurking inside of him.  One of his most frightening qualities is how motivated he is by the idea of revenge.  He has been built up and knocked down many times in his life, and it seemed as though time slowly took away all of the things that he had to live for.  Eventually, everything in his life—from money to relationships with people—became tools for his revenge.

Overall, I am really enjoying the book, although the tone is a bit heavy at times.  It can be hard to push through such tragic and dark stories, but the fact that it is so well-written and developed makes it much easier. 

On a separate note, I really don’t see all of this ending well.  I mean, it definitely seems as though Heathcliff’s plot for revenge has done nothing to remedy his problems.  He still seems to be quite unhappy in the ‘present’ part of the book with Lockwood.  Also, it would also seem like it would be wise for Mr. Lockwood to steer clear of Wuthering Heights, but I’m not sure if that will happen.  Hopefully it won’t be a ‘curiosity killed the cat’ type situation, but who knows.  I’m still trying to get a feel for the book’s tone and overall message.

4 comments:

  1. You are definitely spot on with your description of Heathcliff in my opinion. He is this large, dark, creeping, guy who seems to always be thinking malicious things, unless of course he is thinking about Catherine. I completely agree that at some parts in the story he seems demonic and almost straight out evil. I have to defend him however because of the way he was raised and how his life is turning out. I don't think any man would be a chipper, happy person after having some of the same things done to them. I am glad you brought up the subject of the complicated relationships because it stood out to me as well. Catherine and Heathcliff have such a strong passion for each other they can barely stand it. At some points it seems like they would do absolutely anything for each other, including marrying a man she does not love just for his wealth. Also the rivalry between Hindley and Heathcliff is astounding. They have been at odds all of their life and they are truly enemies in every aspect of the word. At this point in the story I am a little nervous for the rest of the characters because of Heathcliff's need for revenge. I guess we will read on next week and see what Bronte has in mind for the rest of the characters and the revenge bent Heathcliff. Your blog about Wuthering Heights was very good and brought up some very good points and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff I agree that they way Heathcliff is going about his business is only going to damage their relationship. Catherine is also going about it all wrong, which I guess is why the story is more than just ten pages. I am already getting a little tired with this book due to the same reoccurring theme of Heathcliff and Catherine. I get the point already of the undying love that they just cannot seem to express to one another. I was really disappointed in Catherine’s decision to marry Edgar for his looks and money, because both of those traits can disappear.
    As for character development that you had touched on, “It can be hard to push through such tragic and dark stories, but the fact that it is so well-written and developed makes it much easier”. I almost wish everything was not so laid out for the reader; I enjoy a little ambiguity in a book, a little room for imagination. I feel this text everything is there for the reader with little room for movement. I also feel that the text is dry and plain. I wish for more action and creativity, I almost feel like this book has been done before, and it made me glad that books have evolved over time. While this may be considered a “classic” I am just finding it hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you brought up the theme of love in the novel. You say, "Of all of the relationships in the story, the one that seemed to be the deepest and most complex was the relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff. There [sic] love is so powerful that it almost seems destructive. It seemed as though the stronger there love was, the further they were driven apart, and the more pain it caused everyone involved."

    For us modern readers this kind of love is "old hat" and has been played out in numerous films and novels. However, it's important to remember that it was novels such as WH that actually "invented" this kind of love story--stories about two passionate lovers that are the harbingers of their own suffering and self-destruction. This kind of teenage angst that we see in books like Twilight had its beginnings in WH, so it's funny to me that uwmpalmer would say that this book "has been done before," when actually I would argue that this is just the beginning of what we find so common in contemporary love stories.

    ReplyDelete