Thursday, September 2, 2010

Alright, this is my first blog ever. I hope I'm doing this right...

Hey everyone--

My name is Ryne and this is my 3rd year at UWM.  I decided to take this class because I have always wanted to know more about vampires.  They are all over the place in movies and books and TV, but they are always different.  I've seen a few vampire movies (the Blade series, From Dusk Till Dawn, Dracula, Underworld, etc.), and it seemed as though each movie depicted radically different forms of 'vampires'.  What I am interested in is seeing the roots of vampire 'mythology', as well the way it has progressed and changed into what it is today.

While I don't really limit myself to any specific genre when it comes to reading, I often find myself drawn to the fantasy/sci-fi side of things.  I really enjoy books that feel really long and epic, as well as books that take the reader to a whole new world. I don't necessarily mean that literally, but I enjoy being immersed in unfamiliar and exciting locations and stories.

This isn't the first online course I've taken, and I have grown to really enjoy the format.  It's a good way to communicate thoughts and ideas in an organized way.  Discussing books in an online forum can actually be pretty fun, and its really helps you get the most out of what you are reading.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One place I'd love to visit is Japan.  The culture just seems very interesting to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't frequent too many websites, but I'd say that I go to GameSpot's website the most.  Either that or IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes.  I enjoy movies and games a lot, and those websites are pretty much all you need to keep up with everything.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I always thought that this video was pretty cool.  I really enjoy the blues and bluegrass music, which has a lot of harmonica, but I've never seen anyone play harmonica like that.  It's pretty awesome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't really think I have a favorite vampire character.  I just don't know of enough vampires to makes that decision.  But here are a couple honorable mentions:


(I'm hoping I'll be able to make a more informed list by the end of this semester)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Anywhoo... To wrap things up, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's blogs this semester, and I hope you enjoy mine!

4 comments:

  1. UGH! i forgot about the munsters! I should have had the grandpa for my favorite vampire character because edward cullen is like the lamest vampire ever. haha i love the munsters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about the Munsters! Grandpa definitely would've been my favorite vampire character if I'd remembered. I watched that show a ton as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to visit Japan too...I would love to go over and teach English there one day. I also completely forgot about Grandpa from the Munsters... awesome show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, I would love to go to Japan one day too. I'm studying Japanese for that exact reason. ^-^ Japan has such a rich history and the culture is so different, I just really love it.

    ReplyDelete