The concept that vampires could be considered more “alive” than the living was very interesting to me. While they are sometimes seemingly ghostly figures, vampires have certain characteristics that suggest that they live a life beyond what a human life is capable of being.
Physically, they always seem to be nearly invulnerable. Whether it be holy water, a spike through the heart, or cutting of the head, in most cases some kind of special criteria is required to kill a vampire that goes far beyond what is required to kill an average person. This suggests a certain vitality that goes far beyond human life. Another example of this vitality is shown in their ability to live for an extremely long time. Not only does this provide the vampires with more life in terms of years, but it would also most likely give them a wealth of experience and wisdom, which only adds to their cunning and manipulative nature.
I think that sexuality is another way in which vampires show more “life” than humans. I thought that this was illustrated well by Lucy’s transformation into a vampire. Her illness caused by Dracula’s attack made her very sickly looking. However, when she seemed to pass on, all of her beauty returned. It is even stated that Holmwood finds himself surprisingly attracted to her when he first sees her. Then, to add to her sexuality, she begs him for a kiss. While her beauty and sexuality is represented as a result of Dracula’s evil, it doesn’t change the fact the it makes Lucy more vigorous and uninhibited, which some may these days call “being alive”.
Now that I’m done talking about the question of the week, though, I’d like to briefly move on to what I thought of the book. This has definitely been the most exciting book we’ve read so far this semester. I was constantly surprised by how often it kept “on the edge of my seat”, if you will. While Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights was an interesting character, I never really felt as though I was grasping the full weight of his character. Dracula, on the other hand, seemed much more in line with what I was expecting from this class. He was a true figure of terror, which is something that I wasn’t really expecting. Given the books age, I thought it would be more atmospherically scary than anything else, sort of like Wuthering Heights, but I’m glad that I was wrong. Especially the ending! Wow! That was much more intense than I was expecting (and probably my favorite part of the entire book).
I also found the idea of vampires being more “alive” than humans. And I definitely agree with you when you say, “While they are sometimes seemingly ghostly figures, vampires have certain characteristics that suggest that they live a life beyond what a human life is capable of being.” And when you talk about the ways to kill a vampire it makes me think. Are humans really that hard to kill? I mean I do believe that there are more ways to kill a human but I do not believe it is that easy. However one major advantage that vampires have over humans is that they do not catch diseases. I would think that a majority of the deaths each year are caused by some sort of illness.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your reasoning on how vampires show sexuality. But I also want to add that they also show it by drinking blood. Sharing of bodily fluids is always a sign of sexuality. I also too think that this is my favorite book that we have read this semester. I especially liked the beginning when Jonathan was trapped in Dracula’s castle. I literally got goose bumps when Dracula came up behind him in the mirror and did not have a reflection. I am definitely looking forward to reading “I am Legend” next because I loved the movie!
It's funny to think that vampires are more alive than humans when they are technically the un-dead. What is also interesting is that vampires in fiction are immortal, and they live for such a long time yet few seem to appreciate the fact, in fact most are plagued by it. A vampire's existence is a cursed one it seems, and while they are more alive, they really don't seem to be 'living' their lives, if that makes sense.
ReplyDeleteIt was also very interesting that when Lucy became a vampire she retained all of her former beauty, as if she were living again. As for a vampires sense of sexuality, they do seem to enjoy it more, perhaps because they are un-restrained by rules and such and can live freely and openly.
I agree with the subject that vampires are more alive than humans. I say this because it does give out passage ways that humans can't get you. (ex. immortality) One idea that you touched on that I like was when you talked about the special requirments of killing a vampire compared to killing an average human. When it comes to killing an average human, you could use simple household objects (irons, stoves, knives, etc.), yet when it comes to a vampire, you would have to have holy water, stakes, sunlight, etc.
ReplyDeleteThe whole idea of the vampires being more "alive" than humans is an interesting concept. I would have to agree with this notion, if you think about it they somehow acquire a lot land. At least in Dracula he had several different properties and was able to travel without hestitation. I think its easier to be a vampire because a lot of the stress that is experienced when you are alive are virtually wiped clean in the after life. The only true problems is making sure there is blood to sucked and to get to bed before the sun rises. A vampire does gain a lot of wisdom through the years of its "life" as well as traveling to different cities and countries gives one a different perspective. They also have to be able to read people and be careful not to cross the line between charming and creepy, and they seem to do with such style. So in all I agree that being a vampire can make you feel more "alive"
ReplyDeleteI think your note on sexuality leading to power is quite profound. I think hyper sexualizing something does bring an element of power, in everything from what they can bench press to how much they enjoy the bedroom.
ReplyDelete